Saturday, August 20, 2011

3 April 2011 ~ Panjiayuan Dirt Market

Number two on my list of top things to do in Beijing is the Panjiayuan. Otherwise know as the Dirt Market, Beijing's biggest and best-known arts, crafts, and antique market. It covers an area of 48,500 square meters and houses 4,000 shops and 10,000 dealers. A veritable paradise for the die hard shopper!

The Dirt Market came into being in 1992 as a roadside market on a dirt field a few kilometers south of the railroad tracks. Locals affectionately dubbed it the Dirt Market, which described the initial display floor. As trade in folk antiques and handiwork grew, it became the huge antique and handiwork market you see today, except for one simple change...no more dirt!
From Mao hats to Ming vases, Buddhas statues to Tibetan beads, whatever your heart desires from the Middle Kingdom and more, you can find it here at the Panjiayuan!
Outdoor stalls where folks simply throw a blanket on the ground and display their wares.
This cigarette case instantly caught my eye and made me think of Uncle Marshal, who used to work for Sante Fe Railroad. Tried to purchase it for you Uncle Marshal, but even with my best bartering skills, 2000 RMB ($300) was a little steep, so a picture must suffice!
I was inthralled with this display because quite of few of its artifacts were from California's Gold Rush. The more I looked, the more I saw. I have since learned that 22% of California's mining population was Chinese.


Beaded bracelets, antique coins, statues, vases, tools, jade...
Spectacular beads
Musical instruments
A feist for the eyes
Buddha statues
Buddhas and Terra Cotta Warriors
Big Buddha
I fell in love with these two. Hmmm, how could I get them home?


Taking a rest
Sheep, elephants, lizards, fish, dragons, monkeys...
The Panjiayuan is not only a shopper's dream, but a photographer's utopia!
Calligraphy tools
Mao and Buddha...a classic shot.
Furniture
Abacus and vintage wooden shoe forms
Lamps
Clothing
There are also rows and rows of indoor shops as well.
I purchased quite a few Pashminas from this sweet lady to bring home as gifts for friends and family.
Chinese charms that can be seen hanging everywhere in China.
After some pretty intense bartering, I purchased a large Buddha scroll from the gentleman in the red coat.
Antique coins
Emperor and dragons
Yin and yang surrounded by dragon
Chinese chests
Lanterns
Antique fabric isle
I fell in love with this Chinese fisherman and he DID come home with me.
The Shopping Queens: Susan, Janet, Nancy, and Kimberly
Janet scoring a sweet red teapot
Lunch time! We found an incredible restaurant right in the middle of the Panjiayuan with scrumptious pizza and salad.
Sweet Susan : )
Nancy purchasing shadow puppets
A whole isle dedicated to teapots? My idea of heaven!
Teapots galore!
Hello little froggy
I wanted to buy one, but was so overwhelmed with the beauty of each and every teapot, I couldn't make a choice.
Tibetan woman and her jewelry
This gentleman was more than happy to educate me in the fine art of Chinese calligraphy.
Beautiful bamboo
I highly suggest if you ever find yourself in Beijing over a weekend, put the Panjiayuan at the top of your list!

And on the way back to our hotel, we drove through...
Tian'anmen Square!
I was actually in Tian'anmen Square...another pinch me moment.
Chinese Toll Booth
Ladened with all our treasures, it was back to the Beijing Airport to catch our flight home to Dalian.
What a fantastic weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment