Monday, August 30, 2010

31 August 2010 ~ Dragon Fruit Day


While I was at the JinShiTan market the other day, I wanted to venture out and try something new, so I purchased pitaya fruit, more commonly known as dragon fruit. It originates from the dragon fruit cactus plant and after doing a bit of research, I found this nutritious and tasty fruit blooms at night where pollination is caused by nocturnal creatures such as bats and moths. Too cool!

I loved slicing it open because it was a complete mystery to me. I had no idea what I would find inside. I was pleasantly surprised when white flesh and tiny black seeds appreared. Against the intense purple skin, it was a sight to see! And it was ever so tasty with a sweet flavor and light, creamy texture. It was like a cross between a kiwi and a pear.

Durian fruit next....ahhh....I'll have to have a lot of courage for that one. Either that or a really good nose plug!








1 comment: