Sunday, January 2, 2011

2 January 2011 ~ Last Full Day at the Orphanage

We all went to church this morning (all but the little guys...sadly, one by one they have all been getting sick with high fevers) about an hour's drive from the orphanage. I loved driving through the countryside, absolutely beautiful farmlands amidst high jungled peaks. Once we arrived, the service was very interesting because it was all in Thai...quite an experience. : ) They fed us a wonderful lunch and then Mark took us to Monkey Park. A beautiful place taken over by hundreds on monkeys. As we were exploring the caves where the monkeys have taken up residence, a truck full of people and their picnic food arrived. In mass, those brazen little monkeys surrounded the truck, jumped right in, and stole bag after bag of their food! Let me tell you, it was a sight to see! The monkeys did not back off until one of the guys in the truck ran for a palm frawn and started swinging it about. It did the trick, but they lost quite a bit of food to the cheeky little buggers! (Megan took pics...I'll put them up as soon as I get them from her.)

As we arrived back at the orphanage, Nelly, Bree and Joe decided to take a bike ride to a local waterfall and I jumped at the change to ride along with them when Mark said I could borrow his bike. It was a beautiful day, yet really hot and humid. Joe and Nelly were on brand new bikes and Bree and I had the old clunkers with sticking pedals and bent frames, creaking and clanking their way along. We just had to laugh as we gave it double the effort to keep up with them along the city streets, through the jungle, and finally up a steep hill to the waterfall. Oh how wonderful that cool water felt as we sunk down into it!

When we left, I told the young'uns not to worry about me, I was going to toodle my way back. And I'm glad I did, because out came the camera and I saw some beautiful sights along the way.
Sawadee ka hands. : )
Beautiful jungle road.



Someone's garden along the road. That little pot you see on the side of the road is a garbage can made out of tires.
Residence with Thai Spirit Houses out front. I am fascinated with these little houses!
Hmmm...What do ya think? I could rent this little place and live here forever. : ) Will you come visit me?
Rubber trees lined the road.

Thai bus stop.
When I glimpsed this amazingly beautiful wat (temple) through the trees, I just had to stop and take a closer look.




I was in awe of the beauty of this place.
And the detail...WOW!

These must be the little houses where the monks live.






My ride...
Deserted fruit stand along the side of the road.

And just down the way was a mosque.
I am fascinated by and in love with the diversity here!



This little coffee place was on the road just outside of the orphanage...our favorite place to go during siesta time!
Then it was back to these adorable children for the afternoon! Here's Brandon giving cart rides to all the little guys. They loved Brandon!

One by one, they all piled in and wanted a ride!



After they wore Brandon out, it was Phii Meg's turn.
Brandi and Ruth playing with Barbies.
Beautiful, white, puffy, billowy cloud day.

Doug, Megan and Jess
"We want more, Brandon!"
Om giving Isaac a ride on her bike.
Doreen and the feverish Hanna.
"It's my turn!"
Yotin got the chair tonight!! : )
Hanna and Phii Meg being silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment