Thursday, January 6, 2011

5 January 2011 ~ Arriving in Sanya, China

Oh man, I'm back in China and there goes my stomach again. Do you think I'm allergic to this place? I was so proud of my belly...two weeks in Thailand, eating and drinking whatever I wanted and my stomach was a happy, happy camper. One day back in China and...not so happy. : ( It sure was a blessing to do nothing but sleep, read, watch TV, and order room service yesterday. What a much needed gift and what a luxurious place in which to relax and regroup. My flight to Sanya didn't leave until 11:05, and since I was only a two minute walk from the Guangzhou Airport, I was able to have a nice relaxing morning too.
I was in a bit of culture shock when I arrived at the airport in Sanya. If it wasn't for my stomach revolting again, I really would have know I was back in China when I had to bring my own toilet paper into the loo, squat to pee, use my suitcase as a blocking device and act like a football player to protect my spot in line for a taxi, and when the taxi driver swerved into oncoming traffic (as I was flying across the back seat) to pass a very large bus and honked at small children and old ladies who were simply trying to cross the road.
Ahh, China, I just gotta love ya! Ohh, Thailand, I sure do miss you!

I was meeting my friend Nancy at the Sunny Sanya Family Inn, but she took one look at the place when she arrived, decided it wasn't for her, and booked a room at the hotel next door. I spent far too much time in the lap of luxury in the last two weeks and I must say that I am now officially spoiled because I, too, decided to go for the classier joint next door. Especially when I saw this view from Nancy's balcony! Nice choice, Nancy.
It was a glorious day.

We took a lovely walk on the beach.

And had a late lunch at an outdoor Russian restaurant. Sanya is a big Russian getaway destination. Very little English spoken or written anywhere, but lots of Russian! We decided to try the local catch of the day...
I thought I'd continue to eat what I wanted to eat like when I was in Thailand, but no go! Tummy still not happy. Boo hao. : /
Chinese lantern in coconut tree. Lovin' it.


Ended the afternoon with a foot massage on the beach. The guy giving me the massage cracked me up. He spoke very broken English, but bent my ear for the entire one hour massage about every topic under the sun, with quite a bit of time spent on politics and religion. Let's just say that he is not entirely happy with the government here in China and would love a better life. Kept using his three favorite American swear words to emphasize his point throughout this one sided conversation. It's really ironic that I had this guy of all guys rubbing my feet today. I've been a bit unsettled with returning to China and its many restrictions, especially after an amazing two weeks in Thailand. And what do I attract when I'm trying to relax and let it all go?? Unsettled massage man. Time to start thinking positive again. The power of the mind is an amazing thing.
Another glorious room...
Loving spoiling myself. : )


1 comment:

  1. Hey Kimberly,

    I just signed on so that I can make comments on all your fabulous pictures. Keep them coming! Miss you!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete