Thursday, September 23, 2010

22 September 2010 ~ A Dream Come True: The Great Wall of China

After a bit of a sleep in (we were on holiday, after all!), Jack picked us up at the Crowne Hotel at 9:00 am. We headed north through Dandong toward Tiger Mountain where the eastern most section of the Great Wall of the Ming Dynasty awaited. I was ever so excited when I caught my first glimpse through the car window...

The signs...they crack me up!
Ahhhh!!!! It's me...on the Great Wall!!
Beautiful!


That little speck with her arms outstretched...it's me!
The Great Wall is traditionally known to the Chinese as the Wan Li Chang Cheng, which translates to "Ten Thousand Li Long Wall." Li is a Chinese unit of measure, with two li being equivalent to one kilometer. This eastern starting point of the wall is a representation of what the old wall would have looked like if a good number of centuries hadn't taken their toll. (In future installments, I'll post the pictures I took in the museum.) Renovations started in 1989 on this one kilometer long section and were completed in the year 2000.

Nancy walking along....
Look Mom...I did it!

That little blue speck...it's Nancy. : )
Ah...the pictures! Nancy and I are going to be in about 30 photo albums throughout China. One person after the other came up and asked if they could take their picture with us.
I must find out what this Chinese character represents.

The wall wound up the very steep Tiger Mountain. The weather Goddesses brought us the most spectacular day...you could see forever! And once at the top of the incredibly steep staircases, I stood in awe of where my feet were planted. I was standing on the Great Wall of China looking out over a 360 degree view of the most incredible countryside of Liaoning Province, North Korea's Ulju County, and the Yalu River!







Looking out over North Korea...


Me and my shadow...on the GREAT WALL!
This may look like a part of the wall, but it's actually steps...VERY steep steps!
Down the back side of Tiger Mountain...
We did it!


It may be missing a few letters and the grammar may be a bit off, but you get the picture!
Unbelievable!
What a day!
I am ever so please that I have these pictures (and many, many more!), but the pictures I have in my mind and the feelings I have in my heart will live with me forever.

Next installment...a river boat trip back that was within spitting distance of North Korea!

No comments:

Post a Comment