Wednesday, September 8, 2010

8 September 2010 ~ Chinese Fireworks

Think about what it's like around the Fourth of July when you hear fireworks going off at all times of the day and night. Well...this is what it's like in China 365 days of the year. The Chinese LOVE their fireworks and set them off any time of any day, celebrating anything from a new building to a new birth. Could be 2pm or 2am...doesn't matter. And we're not talking little bottle rocket here, it's bombs bursting in air and rockets red glare!

Just the other day, it was close to lunch when I found myself in my classroom with one of my students. Just a few short yards away from the school, rockets were shooting off into the air and booming at a rapid pace, one after another, continuing for about 2 minutes. I was amazed as the two of us stood there staring out the window watching the show. I said, "I am so curious about the Chinese and their fireworks!" He replied, "Oh, Ms. Blake...you just have to get used to it. The Chinese do it all the time for all kinds of reasons!" "I wonder why they're doing it this time," I pondered. He responded matter-of-factly, "Maybe they're celebrating because it's almost lunch." : )

I caught these the other night looking out my apartment window over JinShiTan. If this is what it's like on a daily basis, I can't wait for Chinese New Year!




1 comment:

  1. NIce photos of fireworks. Not an easy thing to capture! Well done.

    In Macau they had the International Fireworks Competition. We lived across the pond from where they were shot off. It was an amazing sight to behold. Chinese New Year is something else for sure. Fireworks, more like firecrackers all day long all over the place! You'll be jumping from all the ruckus.

    ReplyDelete