Friday, April 8, 2011

25 February 2011 ~ Harbin Ice and Snow Festival

I sit here and reflect back to one year ago when I made the decision to come to China in early February, 2010. I was teaching at Monte Vista Elementary School and had shown my third grade students a Power Point presentation including a variety of pictures of Dalian American International School and all the many places to visit in China, one of them being the Harbin Winter Ice and Snow Festival. The kids and I got a big kick out of the huge ice sculptures shown in the pictures and I found myself getting excited about the possibility of visiting Harbin the following February to see those beautiful ice carvings with my own two eyes. Later that week I was handing out Time for Kids Magazine to my students when Jeremiah (one of my third graders) came running up to me in overflowing excitement and exclaimed that the Harbin Ice and Snow Festival was featured in an article in the magazine! Goosebumps ran up and down my spine and I took it as a sign that I had made the right decision to take the job at DAIS in China. : )

And now, one year later, on Febrary 25, 2011, I am standing in Harbin, China (dressed in two pair of long underwear, jeans, snow boots, three sweatshirts, and my down coat) ready to spend the weekend at the Ice and Snow Festival!

Talk about dreams coming true....

No comments:

Post a Comment