Friday, November 5, 2010

5 November 2010 ~ Only Four Months at Sea

(Pardon the formatting...can't get it single spaced!

Maybe it's the rum and all the celebrating!)


My darling, musically talented friend, Christiane, posted this on Facebook this morning:


"Today's the day Kimberly gets her shipment!

(Sung to the tune of Teddy Bear's Picnic!)

If you go out to K's apartment today,
you'll never believe the surprise.
For every treasure that ever there was,
will gather for certain because,
today's the day that Kimberly gets her shipment!"

I love ya, my friend!
And boy were you right, Christiane...
MY SHIPMENT ARRIVED TODAY!!!!!

Exactly four months ago, on July 5, Guardian International Shipping Company came to my house in Windsor, California to pick up my shipment. And today, November 5, it finally arrived here in China!


I tell you, there is something about he power of the mind and positive thinking that just amazes me. For the last three months, each time I've hear, "It will be here next week" (and believe me I heard it a thousand times!), I'd say, "Ya right, I'll believe it when I see it!" This week I changed my attitude (and sent many an email to the shipping company!) stating clearly and without a shadow of doubt that our shipment will be here by Saturday. And doggone it, if I don't live and breathe, here I am surrounded by boxes! Boxes from home with my down comforter, Russell, my winter coat, toothpaste and shampoo! I had forgotten what I actually packed in some of these boxes, so what a glorious thing it is to open them up and see surprises from home!


It all started this afternoon with these three sweet words form Johnson, our customs agent here in China:
An hour later the truck drove up to Campus Village...
Johnson wouldn't even consider opening up the truck until I payed the taxes owed on the shipment. At this point in time, I would have given him thousands of yuan!!
Here he is counting the dough...
Alas...our boxes!!! All 41 of them!!! Michelle and I were ever so relieved to see this wonderful sight! Finally, warm clothes!

And as the sun set, we unpacked the truck and counted the boxes to make sure they all arrived.

Trina, DAIS's librarian and shipment cheerleader, came out and we all started doing the shipment dance!!

Some boxes were in perfect shape while others looked like they really had been on a slow boat to China for four months!
Sweet Jason helping to bring the boxes into my apartment...

OK, here's the funny part. Well, maybe not so funny at the time, but we're laughing now! While we were unloading the truck, Johnson informed Michelle and me that his partner had just locked the keys in the cab! Oops! We had quite a few folks coming out of their apartments with all kinds of gadgets and tools to help these guys break into their truck. After an hour and help from a wire coat hanger, they finally had success! We all climbed into the cab and headed over to school to deliver the rest of our boxes to our classrooms.

Audrey, who was very helpful with getting our shipment here, joined in the fun!
A happy Michelle and me with our wonderful delivery guys!
One for all and all for one! We did it!
These two guys were just adorable!
Yea!!
All is well in my world now...I have Russell and toothpaste!
Claire, Nancy and Michelle came over for a unpacking party and drinks to celebrate this glorious arrival! The first thing we did was dig into a box labeled DVD's! There was just something about seeing all these movies from home that made us all scream with delight!

We sat in the happiness of the day, toasted the 41 boxes, and watch "Dangerous Beauty," one of my all time favorite movies.
The party is over...now it's time to open up all these boxes
and move into my apartment. Ahhhh...I am ever so happy!
It really does feel like home, sweet home now. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment