Sunday, November 7, 2010

6 November 2010 ~ Come On Baby, Light My Fire

After being sick for over two months, I was desperate. It was either get healthy or pack my bags. Lisa, the owner of the school was very sweet, periodically sending soup and checking in to make sure I was OK. A few weeks ago, we had a conversation about when she first came to China and had a similar problem that lasted six months. She told me about the eastern doctor who comes to Campus Village and asked if I was open to alternative treatments.  What finally helped her was an eastern fire treatment.  Did you say fire treatment?  She swore by it with such confidence and asked if I would be willing to give it a try. Like I said, I was desperate.  Western medicine sure wasn't cutting it and...when in Rome, so I told her I'd give it a go. Out of the frying pan and into the fire! Lisa made an appointment for me the following weekend.

I walked into the docs room and put my utmost trust into this man who was about to light me on fire. First he put plastic around me, then rubbed something that smelled like Vics Vapor Rub on my belly. I could feel an instant penetrating heat from the ointment. He then laid a warm wet towel across my belly and on top of that he poured a clear liquid across the towel. I imagined this to be lighter fluid or 100 proof Chinese moonshine! He readied a second wet towel across my rib cage. I assumed this one was to douse the flames as I thought to myself, "Oh man, I am actually doing this." He then reached into his pocket, pulled out his lighter, and...click, woooosh, my belly was on fire! It was an out of this world experience to look down and see actual flames coming up from my stomach! I had assumed correctly, after about three seconds, the second wet towel was tossed across the flames. He did this over and over again, massaging my belly in between, for over an hour. What made it even more surreal was the fact that he had an instrumental version of Mama Mia playing softly in the background. There I was, listening to "Dancing Queen" and watching flames come out of my stomach. Can you say Twilight Zone?

As you read this, you might think I've lost my mind here in China to actually let someone light me on fire, but I must say I could feel the healing heat penetrating through my stomach and it actually felt really good! Yes, it was quite warm, hot at times, but I knew that this heat was extremely beneficial. I lost count of the click/wooshes after a while, got used to the fact that those flames were literally coming from my stomach, closed my eyes, and actually relaxed. The warmth was divine. And, believe it or not, once I started these treatments, my belly is better! The cramping has gone away and I've been able to eat, eat, eat again. So...you may think my cheese has slipped off my cracker, but I'm a believer and actually went back for more today. I asked the doc to take a couple pictures so you could see this true cultural experience for yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I'm so glad that you are finally feeling better and on the road to recovery. You are going to love the dumplings! They are out of this world!

    ReplyDelete