Monday, November 29, 2010

27 November 2010, Part 1 ~ Three on the Bund

Woke up this morning in Shanghai to this beautiful view.
We had an early breakfast at the hotel and hit the road for shopping and sightseeing.
Claire and Nancy were into shopping and I was into sightseeing, so the first place we headed was to an underground shopping area below the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum. The taxi driver dropped us off near this incredible piece of art and I couldn't help but take pictures from every angle.
My favorite shot...
Scroll up and down quickly across this picture...it looks like it's turning!
To our dismay, the whole area surrounding the Shanghai Science and Technology Museum was cordoned off and there were police officials everywhere. After "reading" a few signs and "communicating" with a few people in the area we surmised that the whole area was closed due to some type of road race. There would be no museum exploring or shopping for us in this area.
We get the picture...DO NOT ENTER!
So we hailed another taxi and formulated Plan B. I had done a bit of research before I left and knew of a couple places I wanted to see. One of them was Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, also known as The Bund, a beautiful waterfront walk along the Huangpu River (a tributary of the Yangtze River). So off we went to find The Bund.
Perfect sign: Three on The Bund!
And here are "Three on The Bund!"
It was a beautiful day! We had an amazing view of Pudong's skyline and its variety of architectural styles including Gothic, Baroque, Romanesque, Classicism and Renaissance. It was an incredible sight to see! This is the famous Oriental Pearl Tower.
The skyline was amazing!

Our shadows on The Bund

My rudimentary understanding of Mandarin lead me to read the name of this boat as "Shanghai Good." I definitely agree. Shanghai...GOOD! I love Shanghai. It is a very modern, European city with so many things to see and do. And much warmer...nearly 70 degrees! I will certainly be back during my stay here in China!

Evidence of the World Expo held here in Shanghai this year was seen everywhere. I would have loved to come, but it was sold out even before I arrived in August.
These cute little refreshment cars were all along The Bund.
Loving Shanghai!!

No comments:

Post a Comment