Monday, December 6, 2010

28 November 2010 ~ Tea Ceremony

Our flight was not until 3:30 Sunday afternoon, so we still had some time to do a bit more shopping. We headed to Pearl City, a three story shopping center with oodles of shops and stalls. This was my favorite store...an delightful tea shop. I had been wanting to purchase a tea set, but had yet to find the perfect one, so this store was calling my name! I was enthralled with this amazing table the gentleman in the shop used to serve his tea. I just stood there in awe of the intricate detail and the variety of tea pots, figurines, and cups he had laying across the table. He saw me admiring his array of goodies and gestured for me to take a seat and join him. It was another amazing moment in this journey as I watched him perform his tea ceremony and shared in this sensory delight.

First he boiled the water in an electric tea kettle. The hot water was then poured into a tea pot straight over the tea leaves. He purposefully over-poured the water and it streamed over the pot, across the beautiful wood, and down a drain built into the table.
He let this steep for a bit, then pour the tea through a stainer into yet another pot.
The tea was poured from this pot into beautiful sage green cups for us all to savor and enjoy.


After enjoying a few cups of tea with this wonderful gentleman and communicating as best as we could considering we did not speak each other's language (actually, sharing the tea ceremony had a beautiful language all of it's own), I knew this was the place I was going to find my tea set. And here it is.... I just love the sweet, adorable, one of a kind tea pot and the memory it brings to my mind of the lovely tea ceremony shared with the kind gentleman.
The gentleman was also a calligrapher and shared is tools and work with me.
Each stroke is so graceful and elegant. Thank you Universe for this wonderful experience.
Then it was off the the floor dedicated entirely to pearls and jewelry. "Wanna buy some pearls, Lady?"
My new earrings and bracelet to match.
Too funny...a Chinese text from Nancy while Claire and I were shopping.
How'd ya do that Nancy??
Nancy and her beautiful new necklace.
Had to buy a jade Buddha! Gotta love it...only 30 kuai!
After our final shopping experience, we headed back to the Crowne Plaza and sadly packed our bags. I could have spent the whole week in this vibrant city! Here are Claire and Nancy in the back if our taxi to the airport.
Downtown Shanghai as seen from the front seat of a taxi.

Our one and only glimpse of the World Expo's China Pavilion as we zoomed by in the taxi. Something to go back and see!
Pudong Airport is about an hour's drive outside of Shanghai.
No...thank you, Shanghai! I am in love with this city!
One last touristy photo op...couldn't resist one more shot with Haibao.
Pretty much sums up our experience in Shanghai...
And China Eastern takes us back home to Dalian....

No comments:

Post a Comment